[Fwd: Worlds biggest silver hoard! & Viking News]

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2006
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: Worlds biggest silver hoard!
      Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 17:11:59 UT
      From: Dan Carlsson <info@...>
      To: vikingHistory@...

      Dear Viking friends,
      As you might know, a few years ago, the worlds biggest silver hoard ever
      found came to light in northern Gotland, Sweden. Or, actually, there
      were two hoards just 3 metres apart. And interesting enough, there was
      even a bronze hoard of some 20 kilos of bronze artefacts, mainly from
      the Baltic states and Russia.

      The two silver hoard weighted some 67 kilos together. They consisted of
      some 14 200 coins (Arabic coins mainly from 9th century plus some coins
      from Greece), some 400 arm rings of a typical Gotlandic style and some
      broken pieces of jewellery. The hoards were found in a house from Viking

      In all, there are some 700 silver hoards found on this tiny island, and
      that is about 2/3 of all hoards from Sweden. Almost every farm on
      Gotland has a silver hoard, and we are more an more convinced that every
      farm in the Viking Age had at least one hoard, probably several from
      different times. Sometimes it looks as if every generation at the farm
      had its own silver hoard.

      The hoards are almost always situated inside houses, just under the
      floor, or at the floor in a box or something like that, and silver was
      used in the daily life at markets etc. Remember, they didn't go for the
      value of the coin, but for the value of the silver. That is why they
      always used balance scales and weights, things that we always find in
      our excavations.

      The reasons behind the huge amount of silver have been very much
      debated, but today, we are pretty sure it is the result of a well done

      There is of course very much more to say about these silver hoards from
      our tiny island. But for your amusement, please have a look at some
      photos from the excavation of the hoards at;

      Best regards
      Dan Carlsson