New German Book on Aquamaniles / Books on High Table Items

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2006
      A new book has appeared on the subject of aquamaniles, the
      high table items used to wash hands before and after eating.
      They are usually in fantastic forms of animals and humans,
      birds, wyvern, mounted knights, a woman mounted on husband's
      [clothed] back, lions, griffins, etc. It has the accompanying
      bowls as well.

      Hütt, Michael: Aquamanilen: Gebrauch und Form;
      Publisher: Mainz
      Publication Date: 1993
      Binding: Hardcover
      Means size in cm.s; with 83 b/w illustrations and 253 pages.
      Has many depictions of other aquamaniles including those depicted
      on illuminations, seals, engravings, etc. along with assortied
      pieces of Dinanderie, the castings made in medieval Dinant in
      France before its destruction. Dinant was sort of home base for
      this kind of thing and entirely too independant to suit one
      ruler who took the city.
      Bookseller Inventory # 8935
      MOLTKESTRASSE 61, 76133 KARLSRUHE Ust.ID: DE 143.525.008 TELEFON 0721 /
      859716 TELEFAX 0721 / 859717 E-MAIL INFO@...
      Bookseller: Versandbuchhandlung Kurt Götz (Karlsruhe, , Germany)
      MOLTKESTRASSE 61 76133 KARLSRUHE Ust.ID: DE 143.525.008 TELEFON 0721 /
      859716 TELEFAX 0721 / 859717 E-MAIL INFO@...
      This guy usually deals in arts books on various subjects.
      I get his list by mail and I generally scan it. It is entirely
      in German but if you recognize such terms as glass/jewelry/metalwork
      you can find some fantastic things for sale. He is the German equivalent
      of Hacker Art Books in NYC.

      Books on Aquamaniles are very rarely seen although obtainable.
      Most people that have one have the following one:

      Ricci, Franco Maria: Acqamanili:Oggetti Medievali Per Uso Sacro
      e Profano ISBN 8821603318:. 1982 Franco Maria Ricci, Editor,
      via Cino Del Duca 8, Milano, Italy.
      This is about the bronze ones; all color and all in Italian;
      has most of the intact surviving ones in it. About 43 as I
      recall, price is about $35, generally available from:
      Hacker Art Books in NYC., 45 West 57th St.,
      New York, NY 10019; phone (212) 688-7600 Fax (212) 754-2554;
      webpages: http://www.hackerartbooks.com; hackerartbooks@...

      and then there is this old one, which is very thick indeed:

      Tavenor-Perry, J.: Dinanderie - A History and Description of Mediaeval
      Art Work in Copper, Brass and Bronze; 1910. Hardback, cloth with gilt
      titles and decoration Large 4to. 238 pages. Fully illustrated with 48
      monochrome plates and 71 drawings in the text. A scholarly account
      which gives a general view of the ecclesiastical and domestic use of
      articles made of copper, brass or bronze, in European culture. A
      handsomely produced volume by an expert in this field. Aquamaniles,
      candlesticks, censers for burning incense, etc.

      Other depictions of aquamaniles are scattered on the web and in
      various books - generally singly. The above books have to do with
      the metal ones and not the pottery ones. Some pottery ones are
      sold by Trinity Court Potteries in England.

      Books on similar work although very small are:
      Oman, Charles: Medieval Silver Nefs; [Silver ships for high table]
      HMSO 1963, 31pp with 9 b/w plates and figs plus 24 full-page b/w
      pls at the rear, Laminated card cover.
      and:
      Oman, Charles - The Gloucester Candlestick, Victoria & Albert 1958.
      Pbk. This is an incredibly ornate item and the highpoint of English
      work in this field that survives. Only a piece survives to illustrate
      the fantastic artwork but there are depictions of one similar in
      Germany.

      Gall, Günter Leder im Europäischen; Kunsthandwerk. Braunschweig, 1965.
      xii, 406 pp., w. 16 pl. in color, 315 b&w ills. in text (Bibl. für Kunst
      u. Antiquitätenfreunde, Bd. XLIV). This is the paramount book on
      European Medieval Leatherwork, although largely in b/w. It contains
      cases for such things as crowns and silver nefs. Almost everything
      but shoes. Usually you can find such things on choosebooks.com or
      ZVAB.com [same/same] or bookfinder.de .

      My usual proceedure it to obtain the things before I tell others
      about them. In this case that has been done. I wish the new book
      was in color. Quite a nice book anyway.

      I read years ago that there was some shop off the Rialto in Venice
      that sold some. I have never been able to locate it. Anyone having
      information about it I would welcome sharing it with me.

      Magnus Malleus, OL, SCA/Manx/GDH/Great Barony of Windmasters' Hill.
      Permission to repost to non-usenet newsgroups permitted.