Re: [medieval-leather] Rain covers for swords.

  • Alasdair Muckart
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2006
      On Saturday 05 February 2005 04:35, Bram van Diemen wrote:
      > I just saw an article about leather raincovers for sword. Pieces of
      > leather (about 7.5 cm by 3.5 cm) were found during excavations in
      > Dordrecht (the Netherlands) in 1997/1998. Olaf Goubitz (stepping
      > through time) examined the pieces. There were just for swords to
      > keep wather (rain) out of the scabbard. I posted pictures of them in
      > de photo folder.

      Does anyone have any further information on these things, or on sword
      scabbards in general? Specifically mid-14th century ones?

      I've been given a sword and want to make as accurate a scabbard for it as
      possible, but there seems to be precious little information out there, either
      on the Internet or in print on medieval sword scabbards.

      I've got "knives and scabbards" but that's not much use since it only covers
      knife sheaths which are totally different to sword scabbards. I know of a
      book on Anglo-Saxon scabbards, but nothing on medieval ones.

      All the information out there is from people building reproductions. There's a
      reasonably consistent view of "the way things were done" in terms of there
      being a wooden core covered in leather but little in the way of hard evidence
      to back any of it up or real details like the exact stitches used to close
      the leather, the thickness of the leathers, decorations etc.

      --
      Al.
      http://where.else.net.nz
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 5, 2006
        http://cms.dordrecht.nl/dordt?nav=toduIsHaKnPTotbBrtbBjBIHD

        Images of the rain covers, which look more like they were attached to swords rather than scabbards.

        H.
        On Saturday 05 February 2005 04:35, Bram van Diemen wrote:
        > I just saw an article about leather raincovers for sword. Pieces of
        > leather (about 7.5 cm by 3.5 cm) were found during excavations in
        > Dordrecht (the Netherlands) in 1997/1998. Olaf Goubitz (stepping
        > through time) examined the pieces. There were just for swords to
        > keep wather (rain) out of the scabbard. I posted pictures of them in
        > de photo folder.

        Does anyone have any further information on these things, or on sword
        scabbards in general? Specifically mid-14th century ones?

        I've been given a sword and want to make as accurate a scabbard for it as
        possible, but there seems to be precious little information out there, either
        on the Internet or in print on medieval sword scabbards.

        I've got "knives and scabbards" but that's not much use since it only covers
        knife sheaths which are totally different to sword scabbards. I know of a
        book on Anglo-Saxon scabbards, but nothing on medieval ones.

        All the information out there is from people building reproductions. There's a
        reasonably consistent view of "the way things were done" in terms of there
        being a wooden core covered in leather but little in the way of hard evidence
        to back any of it up or real details like the exact stitches used to close
        the leather, the thickness of the leathers, decorations etc.

        --
        Al.
        http://where.else.net.nz

        Medieval time dinner and tournament