Shoe/Leather books (cross posted)

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2005
      For anyone who might be interested, I've been gradually scanning in
      (and in some cases just extracting) some works relating to shoemaking
      that are out of copyright and putting them on line at
      http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/histshoe/index.htm

      I would like to suggest the following as general interest:

      http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/histshoe/holme/holme1.htm
      http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/histshoe/Rees/rees.htm
      http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/histshoe/bootsandshoe/index.htm
      http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/histshoe/redfern/index.htm
      (I'm stuill working on the gloves section)

      And extra cordwainer points to anyone who can tell me why the "Boots
      of Henry VI" probably aren't

      Marc
    • Anna Troy
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2005
        I'd say late 16th, possibly very early 17th century.
        There are so many details that say that it's NOT 15th
        that I hardly know where to begin. The cut of the
        upper, the way it was sewn, the shape of the sole. The
        reason I don't put it later is the slight wedged heel,
        that's very typical for the late 16th century.

        Anna T.

        --- Marc Carlson <marccarlson20@...> wrote:

        > And extra cordwainer points to anyone who can tell
        > me why the "Boots
        > of Henry VI" probably aren't
        >
        > Marc

        "So many books, so little time"

        "Anna's Crafts Links Page"
        http://home.tiscali.se/annascrafts/index
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
          --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Anna Troy <owly3@y...> wrote:
          > I'd say late 16th, possibly very early 17th century.
          > There are so many details that say that it's NOT 15th
          > that I hardly know where to begin. The cut of the
          > upper, the way it was sewn, the shape of the sole. The
          > reason I don't put it later is the slight wedged heel,
          > that's very typical for the late 16th century.

          Yup. It's almost ceratinly late 16th, or possibly early 17th.
          Beautiful work, and a really good idea why, when looking through old
          books, we might want to be careful with traditional identifications :)