Early Leather bottle evidence

  • Ben Pyles
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2005
      What I was able to find on the Clay bottle that was made to look like a leathern bottle-

      From Mistress Elywenor-
      "The one that was based on a clay one in Winchester Ware, from Winchester, Hants. The book (Anglo-Saxon England, ISBN 0 586 08371 5) says that "Winchester Ware was produced mainly in the eleventh century, and is one of a series of late Saxon glazed wares, of which Stamford Ware is the best known." This one has marks in the clay to simulate stitching around the edges, so I thought it logical that the maker must have seen a leather bottle of this shape.

      For a picture of an early leather bottle in a different shape (domed on one side, flat on the other) look up pics of the Clooncose Bottle from Ireland. I think that one is maybe 9th century, but don't trust my memory on that one."

      To look at a pic of her leathern creation based upon the pottery one's dimensions and shape...

      Robert