Leather Cloaks

  • Noble Field
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2005
      In the recently released THE MERCHANT OF VENICE, a supurbly done
      movie, Bassanio, played by Josepf Fiennes, is shown wearing a leather
      cloak. If I remember correctly it was somewhat of a patchwork design.
      I have for some time been collecting the proper weight leather in
      usuable sizes, hoping for an inspiration. Now that I have that
      inspiration, my problem is this: I cannot find any pictures or
      documentation for leather cloaks in period. Can anybody point me in
      the righrt direction? With great thanks, Bre'nain MacGilla Pa'traic
    • Robert Huff
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2005
        > In the recently released THE MERCHANT OF VENICE, a supurbly
        > done movie, Bassanio, played by Josepf Fiennes, is shown
        > wearing a leather cloak. If I remember correctly it was
        > somewhat of a patchwork design. I have for some time been
        > collecting the proper weight leather in usuable sizes,
        > hoping for an inspiration. Now that I have that
        > inspiration, my problem is this: I cannot find any pictures or
        > documentation for leather cloaks in period. Can anybody
        > point me in the righrt direction?

        Were I on your position, my first stop would be Janet Arnold's
        _Patterns of Fashion_ (volume I).

        Diego Mundoz
      • Anna Troy
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2005
          They have 16r�th cenruty cloakes there but not in
          leather.

          Anna T

          --- Robert Huff <roberthuff@...> wrote:

          > > In the recently released THE MERCHANT OF
          > VENICE, a supurbly
          > > done movie, Bassanio, played by Josepf
          > Fiennes, is shown
          > > wearing a leather cloak. If I remember
          > correctly it was
          > > somewhat of a patchwork design. I have for
          > some time been
          > > collecting the proper weight leather in
          > usuable sizes,
          > > hoping for an inspiration. Now that I have
          > that
          > > inspiration, my problem is this: I cannot find
          > any pictures or
          > > documentation for leather cloaks in period.
          > Can anybody
          > > point me in the righrt direction?
          >
          > Were I on your position, my first stop would be
          > Janet Arnold's
          > _Patterns of Fashion_ (volume I).
          >

          > Diego Mundoz

          > --------------------~-->
          > Has someone you know been affected by illness or
          > disease?
          > Network for Good is THE place to support health
          > awareness efforts!

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/sK9olB/TM

          "So many books, so little time"

          "Anna Crafts Links Page" har MOVED
          to http://acrafts.dd.vg/
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2005
            At 11:06 PM 4/3/2005, Bre'nain MacGilla Pa'traic wrote:
            >..... my problem is this: I cannot find any pictures or
            >documentation for leather cloaks in period. Can anybody point me in
            >the righrt direction?

            I cannot swear to it without further digging, but I recall a reference to
            some late Roman soldiers wearing leather cloaks. You might try some of the
            sources that detail the gear of that era. I'll poke through my books and
            see if I can remember where it was.

          • Robert Huff
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4, 2005
              Ron Charlotte writes:

              > I cannot swear to it without further digging, but I recall a
              > reference to some late Roman soldiers wearing leather cloaks.
              > You might try some of the sources that detail the gear of that
              > era. I'll poke through my books and see if I can remember where
              > it was.

              There's also here:

              http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/leather.html

              Diego Mundoz