Museum of leathercraft online

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2005
        At 09:24 PM 4/2/2005, you wrote:
        >Just in:
        >
        >http://www.museumofleathercraft.org

        Great! I was afraid we would lose that collection to being scattered
        before I got a chance to make it back to Britain.

      • Tim Bray
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2005
          Very nice!

          But I have a question: THe first object displayed under "Medieval
          Artefacts" includes this in the description: "the decoration was made using
          'Cuir Boulli' techniques." Does this make sense? I've always understood
          'cuir bouilli' to mean 'hardened leather'; how would the hardening
          techniques be used for decoration?

          Cheers,
          Tim

          Albion Works
          Furniture and Accessories
          For the Medievalist!
          http://www.albionworks.net
          http://www.albionworks.com

        • rnc1382@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2005
            In a message dated 4/3/05 7:44:25 PM, tbray@... writes:

            > "the decoration was made using
            > 'Cuir Boulli' techniques."

            Tim, I believe you'll find the usage here is the sloppy, old scholar's usage
            which is applied to any old, decorated leather objects.

            Bob Charrette

          • Tim Bray
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3, 2005
              >Tim, I believe you'll find the usage here is the sloppy, old scholar's usage
              >which is applied to any old, decorated leather objects.

              That's what I was afraid of. :-(

              Cheers,
              Tim

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
                It is possible that it is referring to the decrative impressions. For
                example, if you tool wet leather, you get the same sort of
                polymerization that you with heating. If you take a carefully carved
                mold, I nelieve (since I've never actually done this myself) you can
                take the wet leather, force it to fill that mold under pressure, and
                get the same decorative polymorization effect that you see in that
                picture, and it will retain the shape it's hardened into.

                This would be water haredend leather shaped under pressure. - which is
                what we see a lot of in Waterers books.