Re: [medieval-leather] Heraldry Question

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16, 2005
      > Can you point me toward some
      >sources that show the use of Personal Heraldry on leather items?

      Go to the Photos section of the Website for this group. Look at the photo
      labeled "Cluny goblet case." It is a leather case for a drinking vessel,
      decorated with incised and painted work, including an escutcheon with
      (presumably) the owner's arms.

      That's just one small (and unusually well-preserved) example. I'll see if
      I have digital photos of others - my impression from the collections of
      several European museums is that this sort of thing is pretty common.

      Cheers,
      Tim

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories