Heraldry Question

  • LadyMaryPT@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2005
      Hello Everyone!
      I read the list pretty regularly, but have never posted. I don't have the
      expertise that you all seem to have and I thank you for all I have learned.
      Now I want to ask something more.

      I am pulling together information for an SCA class on ways in which Heraldry
      was used in the Medieval Period. It will be titled something like, Using
      heraldry to increase the pageantry in your SCA life. Can you point me toward some
      sources that show the use of Personal Heraldry on leather items?
      Thanks for any ideas you may have!
      Isolda

    • Alasdair Muckart
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 2005
        On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:03, LadyMaryPT@... wrote:
        > Hello Everyone!
        > I read the list pretty regularly, but have never posted. I don't have the
        > expertise that you all seem to have and I thank you for all I have learned.
        > Now I want to ask something more.
        >
        > I am pulling together information for an SCA class on ways in which
        > Heraldry was used in the Medieval Period. It will be titled something
        > like, Using heraldry to increase the pageantry in your SCA life. Can you
        > point me toward some sources that show the use of Personal Heraldry on
        > leather items?

        Run, do not walk, to your nearest copies of _Knives and Scabbards_, _The
        Medieval Household_, and _Dress Accessories_, all published by the Museum of
        London/Boydell Press (depending on edition) and have a leaf through those.
        There is a spectacular costrel in The Medieval Household, and many many
        scabbards in Knives and Scabbards with heraldic decoration.

        Hope this helps.
        --
        Al.
      • Susan Fox-Davis
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15, 2005
          Isolda asks:

          >I am pulling together information for an SCA class on ways in which Heraldry
          >was used in the Medieval Period. It will be titled something like, Using
          >heraldry to increase the pageantry in your SCA life. Can you point me toward
          >some sources that show the use of Personal Heraldry on leather items?

          Well done! Any item that can be made out of leather can use Heraldic motifs
          in the artwork. Use a person's badge for "this item belongs to me"
          identification. Remember: a device says "this is me" and a badge says
          "this is mine."

          Compleat Anachronist #50, ARMORIAL DISPLAY may be of great use to you.

          Selene Colfox, Aurum Pursuivant
        • Tim Bray
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 16, 2005
            > Can you point me toward some
            >sources that show the use of Personal Heraldry on leather items?

            Go to the Photos section of the Website for this group. Look at the photo
            labeled "Cluny goblet case." It is a leather case for a drinking vessel,
            decorated with incised and painted work, including an escutcheon with
            (presumably) the owner's arms.

            That's just one small (and unusually well-preserved) example. I'll see if
            I have digital photos of others - my impression from the collections of
            several European museums is that this sort of thing is pretty common.

            Cheers,
            Tim

            Albion Works
            Furniture and Accessories