9752Re: Bracers

  • leatherchain
    Sep 12, 2004
      Jennifer,
      I can't remember or find the book, but there is a desription and
      sketch of a full arm harness used for French tournaments in the 14th
      or 15th century made completely out of leather with rope cording
      running the entire length like pinstriping. Sorry, I just can't
      remember which book, other than the fact that it was a book on
      medieval armour with a woodcut on the front cover.
      However, Oakeschott writes in Archaeology of weapons, "The earliest
      record we have of the use of special armour for the tournamentis in
      the accounts for the royal tournament held in the park at Windsor on
      July 9, 1278. All the armour mentioned in these accounts is of
      leather-even the helms- nothing tougher being needed against the
      whalebone swords also mentioned." Dover 0-486-29288-6 Pg 192-193 of
      Dover reprint.
      Also, I think there is a picture of a leather tourney helm in
      Waterer's Leather and the Warrior, although since I'm re-arranging
      everything in my house atm, I can't seem to find it, either.
      Hope this helps a little.
      Red
      --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Cootware"
      <tanja_hohenstaufen@h...> wrote:
      > Does anyone have any documentation on the use of leather bracers
      in the
      > middle ages or Renaissance?
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic