9666RE: pitch

  • Grooby, Peter
    Jun 21, 2004
      > Message: 2
      > Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 06:34:27 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: Douglas Pexa <pexakunstenaar@...>
      > Subject: brewers pitch and how to use it
      >
      > hi,
      > i am trying to make some black jacks, i want to use
      > brewers pitch (pine resin) to seal and as i went back
      > into the messages i found a lot of info regarding
      > using it but no where can find any information on how
      > to use it or prepare it for use. also in my research
      > there is referance to a blend of pitch and bees wax,
      > but non of it says how many units of each to put into
      > the mix. can anyone help me with these issues?

      I use a 50/50 mix of pitch and beeswax. I have found that straight pitch
      is too brittle and cracks quite easily.

      Personally I heat it up in an old catfood can with a blowtorch. This is
      something you want to be careful with and mindful of what you would do
      if the whole thing were to burst into flame. I understand that the
      melting point of pitch is too high to use a double boiler. Can anyone
      confirm?

      Vitale

      This electronic message together with any attachments is confidential. If
      you receive it in error: (i) you must not use, disclose, copy or retain
      it; (ii) please contact the sender immediately by reply email and then
      delete the emails. Views expressed in this email may not be those of the
      Airways Corporation of New Zealand Limited