9182Re: Leather knives?

    Mar 7, 2004
      --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Frojel Gotlandica"
      <frojel@d...> wrote:
      > LOL, not really mate just know your interest only too well and
      > thought you would like the pictures of a few more artifacts, nothing
      > wrong with adding a few pics to the data base.

      And they are greatly appreciated.

      > For us poorly educated though any info or comments would be nice
      > since there is not a lot of information on the page.
      > 1080 is also interesting it is called a saddlers knife. It's the
      > earlies example I have seen.

      The blade's what, about 6" long at least? It looks like a more modern
      last carving knife (assuming you put a long handle on the pointy end
      and attach it to a base by a metal loop through the hole in the end of
      the blade. Unfortunately my copy of Salaman has temporarily gone
      astray -- I assume saddlers may use a similar thing for shaping trees.