9034Re: pitch

    Feb 2, 2004
      --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Ron Charlotte <ronch2@b...>
      > This now has me curious enough to try some tinkering. I live in an
      > area that was once a turpentine plantation, so most of the local pines
      > are the correct type, there are also enough horse people locally, that
      > pine tar and venice turpentine are readily available. I've a major
      > metalworking demo coming up (It's where I make most of my year's
      > supply of generic findings), but after that I will have time to
      > experiment.

      Please, I'd be interested to hear about it.

      Just a not of caution, I found to my irritation that what is sold
      around her as "pine tar" has been mixed with something to keep it from
      hardening. I need to see if I can boil it out, but am somewhat
      cicumscribed by the fact that I live in an apartment and so building a
      large enough fire to try separating out this stuff is not feasible.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic