9024Re: pitch

    Feb 1, 2004
      --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Ron Charlotte <ronch2@b...>
      wrote:
      > At 03:05 AM 2/1/04 -0500, Peter Adams wrote:
      >> I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I found pine
      >> pitch available at
      ><http://www.naturallist.com/pinesap.htm>http://www.naturallist.com/pinesap.htm

      >>It seems rather
      >>expensive however.
      > That's because it's being sold as "edible" grade, I suspect. I
      > wonder if the rosin might not be more along the lines of what's
      > needed for making a sealer. What everyone is chasing seems more
      > along the lines of a heavy varnish with a degree of flexibility.

      This is why I made the comments about what people mean when they refer
      to "pitch", the stuff being sold at this site is not what is
      traditionally referred to as "pitch" in the historical shoemaking and
      leatherworking literature. What they are selling on this site looks
      to be some form of unrefined resin/rosin (as a guess from the
      description and picture).