8575Re: [medieval-leather] Re: long sax sheath

  • Alasdair Muckart
    Nov 3, 2003
      On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 14:13, legviiii wrote:

      > Aren't all the extant originals riveted along the edge? I have made a
      > couple for sharp saexes and have not had a brass rivet dull the blade
      > yet.

      This is what I'm trying to figure out :) I was under the impression that
      they were folded over the edge of the blade and rivited down the back of
      the blade. The blade shape I'm dealing with has the straight angled drop
      point common to sax with a ruler-straight edge. It's also over a foot
      long.
      ________
      ________\
      edge

      If I rivet the copper over the edge (as seems sensible with this blade)
      how do I get the fold over the back of the blade to follow the drop to
      the point without lots of ugly creases and ripples?

      Thanks.
      --
      Al
      "Send lawyers, guns, and money