8571Re: [medieval-leather] long sax sheath

  • Leather Work
    Nov 1, 2003
      Got two possible cures for you to NOT drag a sharp edge out of a sheath across a rivet.

      1.  Use a strong gusset on that edge.. that way you wont cut the threads.

      2.  Put in a hard nylon 'rider'... replaceable with a chicago screw.  Or just rivet the nylon piece between the layers.

      Most of my sheaths either for dagger or single edge I put in gussets where the edge will face the threads.  Never had one cut out yet by a customer.

      Charles
      scaka Lazarus
      www.leatherwork.biz

      Alasdair Muckart <silver@...> wrote:
      On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 12:38, Charles Anderson wrote:
      > How sharp is the blade?  Is it meant for combat or just as an ornament?

      I couldn't quite shave with it but it's not that far off.

      > Ah well... any way a metal collar will stop the blade ripping the
      > leather to shreds.  Personally I wouldn't do this, as I haven't found a
      > need for it with combat ready blades.   Regards Charles

      It's a possibility, but I wouldn't want to subject the blade to being
      dragged across a metal collar every time it went in or out of the
      sheath.

      --
      Al.