8569Re: [medieval-leather] long sax sheath

  • Charles Anderson
    Nov 1, 2003
      How sharp is the blade? Is it meant for combat or just as an ornament?
      Ah well... any way a metal collar will stop the blade ripping the
      leather to shreds. Personally I wouldn't do this, as I haven't found a
      need for it with combat ready blades. Regards Charles

      Alasdair Muckart wrote:

      >Greetings,
      >
      >While we're on the topic of sax sheaths, I have a friend with a long
      >(>12" blade) sax that he wants a sheath for and I'm not entirely sure
      >where to start.
      >
      >I considered building a regular folded sheath with riveted copper to
      >provide rigidity but with the shape of the blade the fold would be on
      >the edge of the blade and with the size and sharpness of this thing I'm
      >concerned that it would just cut it's way out of the sheath when drawn.
      >
      >Can anyone give me pointers to sources for alternative patterns for this
      >type of blade? Were long sax like this just carried like swords?

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic