7567Re: Saint's Badge?

    Mar 6, 2003
      --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Anna Troy <owly3@y...> wrote:
      > I ment Middle Ages but there are so many Saints to
      > choose from...

      Understood.

      > secular badges" by Brian Spencer there is a photo of a
      > pair of small three-dimensional shoes made out of
      > pewter. They look 15th-century to me but I can look
      > again. Now the book suggest that they're a love-token
      > but since they also show small purses that you could
      > hang around your neck with a luck charm inside maybe
      > these symbolised something else, like a Saint.

      I may be mistaken but I think the thing with the Saints badges is you
      want to display those, not just keep them in hiding. Of course, if
      the big Crispin folks just had a trenket tatooed on their faces we
      wouldn't know that either. You know, there are other shoemaking
      saints too :) Maybe St Genguplphus has a badge :)