7565Re: [medieval-leather] Re: Saint's Badge?

  • Anna Troy
    Mar 6, 2003
      I ment Middle Ages but there are so many Saints to
      choose from. Maybe the question should be which Saint
      was the most popular amoungst was most popular during
      the 13-14th century. On a side note in "Medieval finds
      from excavations in London. 7 : Pilgrim souvenirs and
      secular badges" by Brian Spencer there is a photo of a
      pair of small three-dimensional shoes made out of
      pewter. They look 15th-century to me but I can look
      again. Now the book suggest that they're a love-token
      but since they also show small purses that you could
      hang around your neck with a luck charm inside maybe
      these symbolised something else, like a Saint.

      Anna T
      --- Marc Carlson <marccarlson20@...> wrote:
      > > > Anna T wrote:
      > > > St. Crispin is as far as I can tell one of the
      > more
      > > > popular Patron Saints of Shoemaking. Does anyone
      > know
      > > > if he has a symbol of some sort like St.
      > Catherines
      > > > wheel?
      >

      > Anna, did you mean in the Middle Ages, or more
      > recently?
      > There are numerous people searching to find any
      > indication that there
      > was such a thing as a Crispin's badge in the Middle
      > Ages, and pretty
      > much coming up dry. If you find something, -please-
      > let me know.
      >
      > Marc
      >

      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      =====
      "So many books, so little time."

      "Anna's Crafts Links Page" has MOVED to:
      http://www.angelfire.com/retro/crafts

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic