4626Re: [medieval-leather] copyrights...

  • Melanie Wilson Belgium
    Jul 2, 2001
      >Anyway, she says a 1922 copyright (unless extended by an act of Congress
      you don't know about) is expired, period.

      If in the US, in the UK when they fell into line with Europe, expired
      copyrights, became copyrighted again although I don't think retrospective
      action could be taken but new infrigment eg now was is not allowed, very

      My sister know more than me her line exactly :) (BBC lawyer)

      >She also points out that Mickey
      (who's a bit of a special case anyway) was renewed before his copyright
      ran out, 2003 if Magnus has the right date. So in principle, if you
      posted a WWI-era article today, and congress extended the copyright later,
      your use would have occured while the copyright laxed.

      Yes but in European law your use after extension would possibily not be
      valid. Also if the article was a European one our copyright should overide
      any US law

      >However, as Melanie pointed out, anybody can sue anyone for anything, but
      the web and the academic nature of the posting are natural protections.

      Not natural but they make sueing not as commercially attractive :)

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic