      To: medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com
      From: Fuersty@...
      Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 10:36:03 -0500
      Subject: [medieval-leather] Looking for Leather Carving Examples

      Greetings,

      First off I just want to thank everyone that contributes on this list and with every set of posts I learn something new. I've been doing leather carving as a hobby for 30+ years, but most of what I know are modern techniques so this list has been very educational.

      Now the reason for my post today is that I've been asked to teach a class on early period leather carving, meaning 10th century and earlier. The class will be a combination of historical information along with some hands-on leather carving. Now I've seen a few examples in books, but have very little knowledge in this area. I'm hoping that a few of you might be able to point me to some good reference materials or have specific knowledge that may be helpful.

      I'm looking for Web links or Book references on:

      - Leather Dyes and what they were made from

      - Pictures of tooled leather (especially if it would be Norse related)

      - Pictures of the actual tools/punches that may have been used

      Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks,

      Tim

      fuersty (at) AOL (dot) com