11748Re: rawhide

  • 4 lil monkeys
    Oct 6, 2011
      --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "fraser whyte" <hasscoc@...> wrote:

      > Hi does anyone know hot to make rawhide? Or even any faq's about it? If I can make it from pork rind from a butcher shop

      You can not make raw hide from pork rind because of the fat content. Also pigs do not have the same kind of skin as other animals.

      Ideally you want to use the hide from a very thin animal that has little body fat on it. cow works really well but needs to be well stretched because it is so thick. Deer works well if you want a thinner hide but is harder to scrape the hair off without making holes. I have not tried moose or elk but they can also be used for raw hide.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic