11530Re: [medieval-leather]Vinegaroon and Chrome tanned WAS: " Leather dying/aging problem: down, dirty, quick"

  • Timothy Park
    May 4 9:20 AM
      I have to question that vinegaroon won't work on chrome tanned.

      I'm pretty sure my leather in question is chrome tanned. Just as an
      experiment I threw a sample scrap into a jar with a bit of vinegar, just
      enough to soak it to see if I might get some kind of darkening reaction.

      I'm not sure that it did anything *except* where there are holes where I
      think it was nailed and stretched at some point, there is a radius of
      black now around each of the holes. Vinegar reacting with the trance
      iron/steel at the holes?

      Not saying anyone is wrong, just raising the question and pointing out
      what happened.