11410Re: [medieval-leather] Re: Tandy now selling Large and Small leather armor plates for Lamellar

  • Timothy Park
    Mar 27, 2009
      Probably off topic ...

      One of my favorite sources for "odd" leather and "dead animal parts" is
      Lietzow Taxidermy (spelling of "Lietzow" questionable) located in
      Cosmos, Minnesota (gotta love the name!).

      Visit if you can. With a lot of money. Because you'll want a bit of
      everything.

      I don't think they have much of a formal web page, but they do work with
      people. Call them up, tell them what you're working on, and they will
      make suggestions.

      I have seen everything from cougar pelts, to bits of grizzly, to piles
      of deer, elk, moose, and buffalo -- fur on and fur off. Also antler,
      pipe stone, horse tails ... and on.

      Even saw stingray and I think shark (thinking of hilting that hand
      forged katana anyone?).

      I'm not affiliated with them in any capacity. Just been out there when I
      was living in Minneapolis and while Tandy was hard to work with (after
      all the retail outlets disappeared) and they were able to help a budding
      blacksmith with the right leather to sheath a blade without rusting, and
      get him on the way to making some "irish slippers" with the right
      material, etc.

      YMMV

      Timothy