      From: Peter Jelen <pjelen@...>
      Subject: [medieval-leather] Re:Hardening Leather Armor
      To: medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, June 19, 2008, 4:14 AM

      Lots of crafters use the glue technique to firm up masks. You can
      use thinned Elmer (PVA) glue to plasticize and somewhat harden the
      leather. The leather will still be bendable and the leather will
      soften up when it gets damp. Likely not something that you want in
      armor.

      I make commedia masks. They get wet from perspiration and should not
      melt on the actors face. After crafting the mask I use thinned
      polyurethane (think floor finish) and brush it into the leather from
      the back. This hardens the leather and is not susceptible to
      moisture softening.

      Try both/either on a piece of scrap and see if either is something
      that would work for you.

      Pete Jelen