11245Re: Goubitz (2007), Purses in Pieces.

  • Robert McL
    Mar 11, 2008
      I constructed several purses of the "Dordrecht" Kidney type about 14
      years ago. A friend from the East Coast Simon Spaulding had been
      working in museums around Europe in the early 1990'S and managed to
      get a rough pattern of what he called the Spitzbergen purse. I made
      this pouch for the Chief of Clan MacColin - a the Irish/Highland group
      at the Southern California Renaissance faire.
      I am now reconstructing several of the pouches illustrated in Purses
      in Pieces and will be teaching a class in their construction at
      Costume College of the West in Los Angeles this coming August.
      You may also know that "Stepping through Time" shows similar pouches
      to the Dordrecht finds. A common practice amoung thieves in the 14th
      to 16th century was to keep the buckles from purses they stole to be
      reused possibly on belts or elsewhere as keeping a nobleman or
      merchant's purse would have been too risky but the buckles which were
      often of the double D type were not clearly identifiable this may
      explain the missing buckles. I can tell you that my friend used his
      purse for the last 14 years and the only modification I ever made on
      it was to strengthen the outside flap.

      I will take some pictures soon. I have the original purse I made in my
      possession again and right now it is literally in pieces!
      By the way I used several different types of hide in constructing the
      purse ie goat for the soft inner pouch and a more rigid cowhide for
      places the purse needed to be stiffer.

      --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "frasercrowe"
      <frasercrowe@...> wrote:

      > This book certainly does add a great deal to my own knowledge of
      > period pouches (which admittedly wasn't much before). I had made some
      > pretty good guesse about some of the techniques, such as attaching
      > the external pouchlets, but there are details of construction that I
      > would never have guessed at without this book.
      > One of the things that struck me was the data showed that only a one
      > in fifteen ratio of the recovered pouches used a buckle and strap for
      > closure, while the rest relied on simple gravity to hold the bag
      > flaps shut. I won't stress so much now about having period style
      > buckles for my pieces.
      > Has anyone here attempted any of the more involved pouches in this
      > book yet? Id love to see them if you have. I'm about to start on one
      > of the so-called money-changers pouches and one of the multiple-
      > bodied kidney pouches.
      >
      > Herluin
      >
      > --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Alasdair Muckart
      > <silver@> wrote:> I have it. It is excellent if a little brief in
      > places (due I'm sure to lack
      > > of source material). It instantly obsoletes pretty much everything
      > people
      > > think they know about kidney pouches.
      > >
      > > --
      > > Alasdair Muckart | William de Wyke |
      > http://wherearetheelves.blogspot.com
      > > "Any sufficiently advanced stupididty is indistinguishable from
      > malice"
      > > -- James D. Macdonald

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic