10767Re: [medieval-leather] Leather Vessels

  • Arthur Kathan
    Aug 1, 2006
      Yes, I have observations. Lining is one of the things that I took particular note of.
      Last question first. Yes, there was a drinking-size leather tankard. It was one of those
      silver-rimmed items and more than just the rim was silver. It was a complete silver insert.
      Ht 5.625" and diam of 3". It had the sort-of fish-tail handle that can be seen throughout
      "Black Jacks and Leather Bottels". It was made from leather about 3/16" inch
      thick (12 oz.) The handle had no inserts, it is just two thicknesses of leather sewn
      together; so about 3/8" thick.

      Regarding the other vessels. None of them have any evidence of an applied lining. By
      "applied", I mean a visible layer such as pitch. The seams can be seen on the inside.
      This includes a bombard, a simple cup or beaker, a barrel-shaped bottle with a large
      square hole cut through the side (apparently the work of an early curator) and a
      bourdalou. The bourdalou showed a white-ish area on the inside surface which the
      conservator present described as 'bloom', which is something wax does.

      The bourdalou, which is shaped somewhat like a gravy boat, was described by the
      curator with no great assurance as for the use of ladies at excessively long masses.
      Strangely, for a vessel used to hold liquid, the handle was riveted on.
      --Corin