10725Re: [medieval-leather] Re: A Question On Immersion Dyeing

  • Thomas Thurman
    Jun 6, 2006
      Don't know if you have found this before:

      http://www.elizabethancostume.net/dyes/segreti.htm

      And using indigo for leather:

      "336. To dye skins blue. --Take for each skin 1 oz. of indigo, and grind
      it well with strong vinegar, and to each ounce of indigo take one
      foglietta of vinegar, and dip a paintbrush or a hare's foot into it, and
      lay it upon the skins, and dry them in the shade. Then give them a second
      coat, and let them dry, and they will be very beautiful. And if you boil
      the vinegar a little with the indigo, the skin will be of a much brighter
      and fuller colour."

      Don't ask me what a foglietta is specifically :) I think most period
      recipes don't specifically use immersion because dyes could wash out the
      alum that the tawed leathers used. I would also recommend (if using this
      recipe) to use it on the lightest veg-tan stuff as alum tawed stuff is
      *BRIGHT* white.

      Brian

      > Thanks for the info. No, I don't know terribly much about using
      > indigo, I have never dyed fabrics before. But, having said that, my
      > woman is inhumanly happy when using indigo, so I have an experienced
      > dyer on hand. The results do sound quite interesting, but I didn't
      > realize it would act that way, or that it was worked at cuirbouile
      > temps. Don't think it will work for what I was hoping for. Of
      > course, if anyone happens to get that rather toxic-sounding
      > amonia/alcahol mix to work, please let me know.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic