10721Re: [medieval-leather] Re: A Question On Immersion Dyeing

  • Saint Phlip
    Jun 4, 2006
      On 6/5/06, Red <red@...> wrote:
      > First,
      > Congratulations on getting this far. Now for the bad news...While it
      > is possible to get a blue color from indido onto leather, it will not
      > turn out like you think.

      <Much snippage of good information on dyeing leather with indigo snipped)

      Having done a bit of further research on the topic today I discovered that
      the best solution to dissolve indigo in for dyeing purposes is a mix of
      amonia and alcohol- not sure of the proportions. However, what you'll have
      will fade and wash out really easily, so if you use it for garments, a bit
      of sweat will have the appropriate portions of your anatomy turning blue-
      quite possibly highly amusing, but perhaps not the effect you might want ;-)

      Still looking, but what I'm finding indicates that woad might be a much
      better natural dye for your purposes. Certainly, it's more permanent.