10536Re: [medieval-leather] Re: Period leather glue

  • Tim Bray
    Oct 10, 2005
      You can't get leather "totally dry" without cooking it; there is always
      some moisture bound up in the fibers. Then when you cook it at 200 F, the
      surface will partially polymerize, causing it to shrink, which is causing
      your edge seams to open up.

      The solution seems obvious - reduce the heat. From what I've read, and
      from my own experiments, if you stay below 180 F you will be fine. 175 -
      180 should still give you decent wax penetration.

      Just my 2 deniers worth. (Yes, I've been watching "Rome!")

      Cheers,
      Colin