10535Re: Period leather glue

  • Chris Nickel
    Oct 10, 2005
      --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Alasdair Muckart
      <silver@w...> wrote:

      > On Saturday 08 October 2005 23:17, Chris Nickel wrote:
      >
      > Hi Chris,
      >
      > > > Interesting. I've not had that happen to me so obviously we're
      doing
      > > > something differently. What weight leather are you using, and
      how are you
      > > > waxing it? Are you getting it particularly hot in the process
      of waxing?

      > > I am using 4 oz leather for the bottles.
      > > I form them buy soaking them for an hour or so and then pack
      them with
      > > sand. After they are dry. (2 to 3 days) I empty the sand out and
      put
      > > them in an oven set to 200 degrees where I use bee's wax to wax
      the
      > > outside. When they have cooled down again I fill them with bee's
      wax
      > > and then pour it out to seal the insides.
      > > Pretty standard method I think.
      >
      > It sounds to me like your edge-spreading problems may be a result
      of excessive
      > leather shrinkage during the heating phase. If this is the case
      then glue
      > isn't going to help much, unless you use superglue. Are you
      welting the
      > seams?
      >
      > Assuming you're using the Fahrenheit scale, 200 is 93 and a bit
      centigrade,
      > which is quite a bit hotter than I tend to allow damp leather to
      get. I do
      > jacks at no more than 80 centigrade/176 Fahrenheit and I do them
      straight
      > from wet without letting them dry out much first. I also dry them
      on the form
      > to avoid distortion when they get hot. I got my best results using
      > fan-forced oven.
      >
      > What I've found is that when they get too hot the welt shrinks
      quite a lot and
      > pulls the whole thing out of true, and the outside bits of leather
      shrink and
      > do wierd things to the seams. I suspect that this is what you're
      seeing.

      > --
      > Al.

      I allow the leather to totaly dry before i put it into the oven. I
      tried waxing damp leather once and wound up with a piece with the
      consistancy of a potato chip. If I was just heat drying and then
      pitching the bottals then, yeah 200 is probably to hot. But I am
      waxing the outsida as well as the inside of the bottle, the 20o
      degree temp opens the pores and allows the leather to accept the wax
      more easaly.
      -Erich
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic