10532Re: [medieval-leather] Re: Period leather glue

  • Neil Carr
    Oct 8, 2005
      Chris Nickel wrote:

      > I am using 4 oz leather for the bottles.
      > I form them buy soaking them for an hour or so and then pack them with
      > sand. After they are dry. (2 to 3 days)

      Why not skip this bit by going straight to the oven? it dries the bottle
      and sand out quicker, and gives less time to warp.

      > I empty the sand out and put
      > them in an oven set to 200 degrees

      I hope that's Fahrenheit... I baked at 75-85 deg. C, straight from wet
      sand-packed.

      > where I use bee's wax to wax the
      > outside. When they have cooled down again I fill them with bee's wax
      > and then pour it out to seal the insides.

      I don't think you need to wax the outside to waterproof, the inner
      waxing should work just fine.

      > Pretty standard method I think.
      > I just gotta find a way to keep those edges together.
      > Hmmm, maybe I could use gum tragacanth.....

      ...will gum hold up under being immersed in wax, or be dissolved?

      Thomas/Neil
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic