10531Re: Period leather glue

  • Chris Nickel
    Oct 8, 2005
      > Interesting. I've not had that happen to me so obviously we're doing
      something
      > differently. What weight leather are you using, and how are you
      waxing it?
      > Are you getting it particularly hot in the process of waxing?
      >
      > --
      > Al.

      I am using 4 oz leather for the bottles.
      I form them buy soaking them for an hour or so and then pack them with
      sand. After they are dry. (2 to 3 days) I empty the sand out and put
      them in an oven set to 200 degrees where I use bee's wax to wax the
      outside. When they have cooled down again I fill them with bee's wax
      and then pour it out to seal the insides.
      Pretty standard method I think.
      I just gotta find a way to keep those edges together.
      Hmmm, maybe I could use gum tragacanth.....
      -Erich
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic