10527Re: [medieval-leather] Period leather glue

  • Alasdair Muckart
    Oct 7, 2005
      On Saturday 08 October 2005 11:17, Chris wrote:

      Hi Chris,

      > >I haven't tried this yet myself, but a flour paste glue would probably do
      > > the job well enough to hold things in place while you stitch it up.
      > >
      > >You'll want additional sealant than just the glue though.
      >
      > Actually, what I am looking for is a way to not only hold it together while
      > I stitch the piece, but also to permanently hold the edges together so that
      > I get one nice seam instead of two distinct peaces of leather.
      > I am going to seal the leather with bee's wax.

      I'm perhaps misunderstanding your description, but holding the edges together
      should be a job for the stitching shouldn't it?

      If you have issues with the edges of your seams spreading out, try moving your
      stitching closer to the edge. If your stitching is no more than 1-1.5
      thicknesses in from the edge they shouldn't be able to spread.

      By thickness, I mean thickness of the individual layers, so if you're sewing 3
      layers of 3mm (~1/8 in) leather together, you put your stitching 3mm in from
      the edge, not 9mm.

      --
      Al.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic