10525Re: [medieval-leather] Period leather glue

  • Chris
    Oct 7, 2005
      At 05:28 PM 10/7/2005, you wrote:
      >On Saturday 08 October 2005 01:30, Chris Nickel wrote:
      > > Does anyone have any information on what (if any) type of leather glue
      > > would have been used during the Middle Ages? And maybe a modern
      > > substitute.
      > > I'm am makeing leather water bottles and need a way to keep the edges
      > > together. I am still planning to sew the seams up, bit I figure that a
      > > small amount of glue around the edges will help close the gap and seal
      > > the bottle.
      >
      >I haven't tried this yet myself, but a flour paste glue would probably do the
      >job well enough to hold things in place while you stitch it up.
      >
      >You'll want additional sealant than just the glue though.
      >
      >--
      >Al.

      Actually, what I am looking for is a way to not only hold it together while
      I stitch the piece, but also to permanently hold the edges together so that
      I get one nice seam instead of two distinct peaces of leather.
      I am going to seal the leather with bee's wax.
      The biggest problem I am having is deciding what glue to use. Most of the
      glues currently on the market are toxic. Now I'm not even sure that the
      liquid in the bottles will ever come in contact with the edge glue, but as
      I am going to be giving these away as gifts I would rather not take the chance.
      Any ideas?
      -Erich