10524Re: [medieval-leather] Period leather glue

  • Alasdair Muckart
    Oct 7, 2005
      On Saturday 08 October 2005 01:30, Chris Nickel wrote:
      > Does anyone have any information on what (if any) type of leather glue
      > would have been used during the Middle Ages? And maybe a modern
      > substitute.
      > I'm am makeing leather water bottles and need a way to keep the edges
      > together. I am still planning to sew the seams up, bit I figure that a
      > small amount of glue around the edges will help close the gap and seal
      > the bottle.

      I haven't tried this yet myself, but a flour paste glue would probably do the
      job well enough to hold things in place while you stitch it up.

      You'll want additional sealant than just the glue though.

      --
      Al.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic