10038Re: Evidence for dyed leather for ca. 1000 AD

  • Grooby, Peter
    Feb 15, 2005
      > > Tanning uses vegetable tannin to preserve the leather, Tawing uses
      > > Alum. The two types of leather are _very_ different in
      characteristics,
      > > the tawing process is _much_ faster, but the leather has to be
      handled
      > > differently in use.
      >
      > Something I've been wondering about this. I've heard it said many
      times
      > that
      > Alum tawed hides are not at all water resistant, since water will wash
      out
      > the alum, leaving you with rawhide again.
      >
      > If this is the case, what happens when you apply liquid dye to alum
      tawed
      > hide? Would stuffing the tawed hide with grease help with the water
      > resistance?

      Stuffing with grease/fat/egg-yolk does help water resistance, but it
      would also greatly hinder dye absorption.

      I would suggest adding the colourant to the alum/salt solution during
      the tawing process.

      Vitale

      This electronic message together with any attachments is confidential. If
      you receive it in error: (i) you must not use, disclose, copy or retain
      it; (ii) please contact the sender immediately by reply email and then
      delete the emails. Views expressed in this email may not be those of the
      Airways Corporation of New Zealand Limited