10034Re: [medieval-leather] Evidence for dyed leather for ca. 1000 AD

  • Alasdair Muckart
    Feb 14, 2005
      On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:14, Ron Charlotte wrote:

      > Tanning uses vegetable tannin to preserve the leather, Tawing uses
      > Alum. The two types of leather are _very_ different in characteristics,
      > the tawing process is _much_ faster, but the leather has to be handled
      > differently in use.

      Something I've been wondering about this. I've heard it said many times that
      Alum tawed hides are not at all water resistant, since water will wash out
      the alum, leaving you with rawhide again.

      If this is the case, what happens when you apply liquid dye to alum tawed
      hide? Would stuffing the tawed hide with grease help with the water
      resistance?

      Thanks.
      --
      Al.