10015Re: [medieval-leather] Re: Evidence for dyed leather for ca. 1000 AD

    Feb 3 4:23 PM
      At 07:44 PM 1/31/2005, you wrote:
      > > there is plentiful evidence of embroidery, and trim being added to
      >leather
      > > goods, especially footware. They certainly used goldleaf.
      >
      >How interesting. Would you be able to provenance this information for
      >me?
      >
      >Cheers,
      >Ana

      If you login to the Yahoo group site for this group, in the file section
      you will find a file titled _Bibliography_Leather.rtf_. Most word
      processers will read it. There are examples in the Museum of London
      volumes on Dress Accessories, Shoes and Pattens, and _The Secular
      Spirit_. Mr. Waterer covered some examples in _Leather
      Craftsmanship_. There are some in the York finds, but I've not gotten
      that volume for my collection yet (buying books when my birthday is nearing
      can get me clobbered by my family).

      Cennini discusses methods of applying leaf to leather in _The Craftsman's
      Handbook_, and the Alexis of Piemont volumes have several real and
      simulated gold applications. _The Plitcho_ contains a couple of methods of
      applying gold and simulated gold.