Taking the Plunge

    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2009
      I signed up last night for the Fall Cycle NC ride from Blowing Rock to Surf City, Sept. 27 through Oct. 3.  And, in a very surprising (to me) move, my wife Marta also signed up.  Since she hasn't done any cycling at all for about 15 years I thought this was a brave move.  She's already started planning a training schedule to get ready.  I'm still astonished.

      Who else is planning on joining us?  Any more brave folks out there?  Looks like a great ride.  There are also 3 day, 2 day, or 1 day options available.  And look at it this way - it's all down hill from Blowing Rock to Surf City!

      David

      From: David Clark <david_h_clark2004@ yahoo.com>
      To: mecklenbent- riders@yahoogrou ps.com
      Date: Thursday, April 23, 2009, 8:06 AM

      Jerry,

      Now that's exciting!  Let me know when congratulations are in order.

      David

      From: David Clark <david_h_clark2004@ yahoo.com>
      To: mecklenbent- riders@yahoogrou ps.com
      Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2009, 5:32 PM

      Jerry,

      That sounds great!  Either day would work for me.  I've got to drive over to Chapel Hill to visit my daughter on either Saturday or Sunday.  What works best for you?

      Thanks,
      David

      From: David Clark <david_h_clark2004@ yahoo.com>
      To: mecklenbent- riders@yahoogrou ps.com
      Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2009, 12:25 PM

      Jerry,

      The NC ride sounds good.  I'll have to put together a plan to see if I can do the whole thing or just one of the shorter options but count me in to at least part of it.

      I'm going to have to get some slightly different gearing to continue my exploration of the Uwharrie route to Chapel Hill.  You're not kidding when you say that it is seriously uphill to get to the camp ground.  Probably have this in a week or two.  I could do some shorter routes from Mint Hill this coming weekend.  What is your schedule looking like?

      Just got back last night from our trip out to Louisiana to visit the boys.  Spent a day paddling kayaks with my son Ben in the bayous spending some quality time with the gators.  We came home with all our arms and legs intact so the day was condidered a success.  Definitely saw lots of gators.

      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2009
        oh you intrepid bikers.....     i will check into it and maybe sign up for the 3 day option but i do not think i can get 7 days of fun........  rode this last weekend and triked 38 miles all around cabarras co.  hot but it was fun.  marta is welcome to play with any of my bikes if she wants to check out different options.  the trike was a blast last weekend.  will be going to atlanta this weekend and planned to drive out to 46 mile marker and kick some hill butt.  would we be up for a va creeper trail soon?????

        jerry

        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2009

          The creeper trail some time sounds good.  Let me know when.  I figure you will be spending a fair amount of time in Atlanta over the next several months.

          I am looking for a chance for Marta to ride a long wheel base recumbent at some point because I think she would like position more than a short wheel base.  Know anybody that has one?

          We hiked all weekend in the Smokys and it was WET.  Tenting in the mud is always a challenge to my ability to keep a positive mental attitude.  I keep reminding myself that this is fun - just a different kind of fun.  You know, that wet, nasty, miserable kind of fun.

          David

          Message 4 of 4 , May 9, 2009
            Dave,
                 The LWB sounds like a winner for Marta but I do not know anyone who has one.  A LWB can be rented at the Silver Comet Depot and maybe we could check into one in Lincolnton.  I have some really good looking plans for one that we could make happen with an engineer and some donor bikes.  It would be fun and maybe we could hook Marta on it and have another rider in the group.  There is also a set of plans on ebay for a LWB that has really great evaluations from several links i have checked up on.  Let me know if you are interested in playing and I already have one donor frame.  The only expensive parts will probably be the derailleurs and maybe wheels.  Either way it should not be too much to build the first experimental ride.
                 The VA Creeper could be a good weekend either in late MAy or early June.  Let's try to get everyone to come along again and maybe camp prior to the ride.  Friday travel, camp, Sat ride and return to Charlotte.  Should be fun.

            Jerry