nyc ride

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2010
      Hello again,
           I thought i would pass along a bit of info on how to get in shape for the ride.  These are from my own experience and not any professional source but they worked for me.

      • the bike does not need to be really expensive to be good to ride.
      • wally world has decent bikes for little money just make sure the bike is fit for you.
      • have someone hold you up and push the pedal to the bottom.  with this position the ball of your foot should rest on the pedal and your knee should be slightly bent.  the more the bend the less energy you will put out.  if it is straight you could end up with knee pain and damage.
      • if you buy a bike remember that mountain bikes are geared lower so not as fast on roads and more work for the same distance.  my first was a hybrid with fairly fat tires 1.75" and a fairly upright position.  it was great to learn on.
      • the best money you can spend is a good pair of padded shorts and shoes.  i still use mountain bike shoes since they just seem more comfortable than road shoes and when you get off the bike walking around is no problem.
      • local bike shops can help in the purchases but i usually discourage going in and getting fitted for free and checking out all of their stuff and then buying it on-line just to save a few bucks.
      • good padded gloves are also a very nice to have item.  without them your hands and shoulders may get quite numb or just outright painful.
      • a helmet is a must.....  make sure it fits but it is necessary to have it.  i have some new ones if you need one just let me know the size.

      as far as training goes, you should start as soon as possible.  i began by riding what was comfortable. 2-3 miles and speed is irrelevent.  just time in the saddle.  your butt will be a bit sore until you get used to it and then it will go away.  you will find every ride gets longer and longer.  it is important to stay hydrated even in the cold weather so drink water and eat regular meals to keep your sugar and electrolyte level up.

      there are loads of on-line resources and if you have any questions please give me a call.

      if you guys, philip, dave, monroe,.....  have any more suggestions please feel free to throw them out for everyone.