todays torture

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2009
      Hello All,
           Went on a little ride today with Dave and Marta's group.  6 of us in all.  Started in Matthews and went to, as Dave puts it, "the fancy coffee shop" in Waxhaw.  Totaled about 46 miles of Carolinas gently rolling hills.  Dave promised a liesurely 10-12 mph stroll but he accidentally forgot his computer so his pace was just a bit more elevated.  I was very good at holding down the rear of the group, and they in turn we also very good at waiting for the coughing, hacking, wheezing guy.  My head cold is getting it's last blows in before it finally moves from me to someone else.  Luckily I ignored the weather report and wore a long sleeve shirt so it would act like a sauna while I rode.  Don't know if I lost more sweat or phlegm today.  Either way it was a lot of fun and met some really nice people.
           I am having a trike or two here for a short ride from my house on Dec 5th.  I will probably be on my swb so if anyone would like to join us please do.  The plan is to depart Mint Hill Prk 0900 and do the "shortie loop" i have posted on "Ride with GPS".  After the ride we will have a spot of breakfast ar Penny's Place here in Mint Hill.  This will be a chance to meet other recumbent riders from around the state.
           There are several people I have talked to lately who really are interested in the 5 bouroughs ride in NYC.  30,000 riders just strolling through the Big Apple.  That sounds like a blast.  I have a friend who lives on Long Island and we are welcome there.  I will volunteer my truck to get the bikes there.  Check out their web site; http://manhattan.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=manhattan&cdn=citiestowns&tm=11&gps=322_62_996_603&f=00&su=p284.9.336.ip_p554.12.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.bikenewyork.org/index.html   Looks like it would be great fun.
           Hope everyone had a great weekend since this one will probably be one of our last ones for a while.

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2009

        Great ride yesterday!  Sorry about "forgetting" my computer.  I didn't realize that we had shifted over into the actual torture category.  I thought maybe extreme discomfort but not torture - but after all, what are friends for?  Hopefully you managed to cough up the last of your cold.  Sounded like you were making progress at any rate.  And there was that awesome long downhill just out of Waxhaw on the Waxhaw Marvin Road where you took a commanding lead over the rest of the group.....

        I will probably be going down to the Festivelo with Marta on the 4th but I'll let you know if that changes.

        David