Oakboro 50+

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 13, 2009
    Philip,
         Good luck on the mountain climb......  you are a better man than I.  If you need support let the group know and we may be able to lend a hand.  I got my butt kicked riding to Oakboro today and although there are some really nice hills there is nothing like your mt climbing expeditions.  Need oxygen up that high?   I need it at sea level some times.
         Dave had asked about the Oakboro Rt so I put it together.  I did not get the mileage marks and my computer reset somewhere after Oakboro on the return.  I'll try to get them next time.  Dave i did find out what you meant by the river rd hills.  I hit 47 mph down and almost wet myself when i saw it.  Of course that means a speedy 5-7 mph climb follows but what goes down must come up (or something like that).  The climb on 205 to New Salem was as steep going down but a very long slow climb back out that had me tossing a chain and making an unscheduled stop midway.
         I have to be in Atl the last week of Oct and would love to stay the weekend and do the Comet.  A Saturday of out to Rock Mart and back would give us a good 70 mile day.  Or alternately we could maybe get a volunteer to drive us out to the state line and drop my truck at the end for about the same mileage and that would include the landfill hills too.  We have lodging at my daughter's so it should be pretty much like the last ride we did there.  Let me know if it is do-able for the group.
         An alternative would be the tour de pig, I am not sure when it is on but should be around the same time.  An energetic alternative would be both........

    Jerry

    Message 2 of 6 , Sep 14, 2009

      47mph - wow!  I was pretty terrified when I saw 42mph on the computer after those hills.  Funny - at the time I didn't think I was going that fast.  It was over so quickly I didn't have time to notice the speed.  I was just hoping the pavement was more or less intact at the bottom because I couldn't actually see the bottom until I got half way down.

      Silver Comet ride end of October sounds good.  We didn't get out much this weekend because we drove Marta's parents back over to Cookeville, TN. Good to get them back in their own house and good to see Marta's dad finally making some progress.

      There's a ride next Saturday out of Wilkesboro that we're thinking about doing.

      David

      Message 3 of 6 , Sep 14, 2009
        David,
             Good to hear about the family's progress.  Wilkesboro sounds like wilkes county and that sounds a lot like mountain goat terrain.  My legs are still sore from this last weekend and i wil be out of town all week so i better spend some time with the wife.

        jerry

        Message 4 of 6 , Sep 18, 2009
          hey guys

          lots to reply to.
          I had Amy drop me off at the top of Sparrow Springs Rd where it hits 74. Take sparrow sprgs all the way down to Crowders Crk rd and go left. Take the next main rd right (Lewis...... Something) and that takes you to 321. Go straight across all the way to the end and go left into Lake Wylie. Cross the river on 49. Right at first stoplight takes you to Tega Cay- left on Gold Hill rd. Across 77. Cut through Regent Park to the new rd that comes up behind Carolina place Mall. About 40 miles

          I'm headed to Chicago where I'm planning to test ride the Carbent Raven. I've had the F5 for over five years (35k+ miles) and I think the Raven may be it's replacement.

          Wilkes Co ride is actually mostly flat along the Yadkin River.

          Tour De Oink could be good. I'll check the calendar and get back to you.

          Message 5 of 6 , Sep 18, 2009
            Philip,
                 good info.  can't wait for a report on the Raven.  Loads of good stuff on BROL about it.  Be safe, ride hard (or not).

            jerry

            Message 6 of 6 , Sep 18, 2009
              Philip,

              Raven sounds pretty exciting.  Where in Chicago is there one to try out?

              Thanks for the route description from Crowder Mt.  I'll definitely try that some time this fall.

              We've decided not to do the Yadkin river ride in Wilkes county.  We're going up to Hot Springs instead to camp with some friends and will probalby do a section of the Blue Grass parkway on the way up tomorrow morning (if it's not chucking down rain).

              David