Re: [mecklenbent-riders] hey all

    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009

      We're planning on riding Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.  Are you going to be available any of those days?  The weather looks fantastic for a 50 mile cruise.

      David

      From: David Clark <david_h_clark2004@ yahoo.com>
      To: mecklenbent- riders@yahoogrou ps.com
      Date: Monday, August 31, 2009, 12:15 PM

      Jerry,

      Well that looks colorfull.  To say nothing of painful.  You will get some great scars out that experience.  Tegaderm is great stuff!

      Marta and I rode down to Waxhaw on Saturday and had really good expresso milk shakes at the little coffe shop.  Gave us the inspiration (and energy) to get back home.  About a 50 mile round trip.  I've really been enjoying cruising around the countryside with Marta at about 10 to 12 mph.  Very relaxing compared to my normal "let's see how fast we can go" pace.

      Do you think you'll be healed up enough to do any riding next weekend?  Try out your new toy?

      David

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 3, 2009
        would love to but this is a grandbaby weekend for us.  they are coming here for the first time since the baby's birth.  should be fun and i am not healing well.  i had to get a friend in the or to get tegaderm big enough to cover my skid marks and will not get them until tomorrow.  have not even had the time to check out the new ride.  it is just sitting in the garage all lonely.  are you two still planning ride nc?

        jerry

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 3, 2009

          Grandbaby weekends are important!

          So do I understand that you are having to get special extra big tegaderm because the standard sizes just won't cover it?  Ouch!

          Yes - we're planning to ride the CNC ride.  It's coming right up.  Our plan for this weekend is to ride three 50 mile days to try and build up some day to day stamina.  We're good for 70 miles in a day but the next day is pretty painful.  So - more miles!

          David

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 4, 2009
            Hey David,
            I already have a ride planned for tomorrow. Maybe I could join you Monday for part of your ride. I probably won't have time to do 50 but if it's convenient for both I could ride a bit with you.

            Philip

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 4, 2009
              Philip,

              That would be great!  I'll warn you - we are totally slow.  Marta and I average about 12 or 13mph so it may be a bit tedious for you.  We'll probably head out first thing in the morning.  Our plans are a little flexible because Marta's Dad has just been released from the hospital and is living with us for the time being.  I'll let you know Sunday what our plans are for Monday if that's OK.

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 4, 2009

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 6, 2009
                  Philip,

                  We rode from Mint Hill to Oakboro and back today - about 55 miles.  We'll probably take it easy tomorrow and do a very slow 40 miles or so from the Mint Hill Park.  Probalby best to plan to get together for a ride in a week or so when we we're feeling a little faster.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 7, 2009
                    Nice ride... oakboro is a nice place and if you swing around through unionville the route is loads of fun.  love mill rd into stanfield is fun but the hill after the river is a butt kicker on any bike.  dave, have you tried the rans lately or are you still hitting the df bike?  i have the extra extenders if you want to give them a try.  i should be healed and ready for a ride next sat...  interested?  philip, tim, anyone??
                    jerry

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 7, 2009

                      Yeh - that hill is a butt kicker!  I did hit 40.8mph going down the hill on River Rd. just before Love Mill but, man, that was tough to get back up.  I'm doing all of this on the RANS now, getting ready for the Cycle North Carolina ride.  We did 50 miles again today - 155 for the weekend so we are getting ready.  We are basically just cruising along at 12mph but we feel good about being able to keep that pace up pretty much indefinitely.

                      My knee problems seem to have cleared up for the moment so I think I'll stick with my current set up.

                      Next week end we hope to be driving Marta's parents back to Cookeville, TN.  They've been with us for 7 weeks now but her Dad is out of the hospital and home with us.  We're trying to get him to the point where he can make the trip back across the mountains.  I'll let you know if the situation changes and we can ride next week end.  What's the best route to Unionville?

                      David

                      Nice ride... oakboro is a nice place and if you swing around through unionville the route is loads of fun.  love mill rd into stanfield is fun but the hill after the river is a butt kicker on any bike.  dave, have you tried the rans lately or are you still hitting the df bike?  i have the extra extenders if you want to give them a try.  i should be healed and ready for a ride next sat...  interested?  philip, tim, anyone??
                      jerry

                      We rode from Mint Hill to Oakboro and back today - about 55 miles.  We'll probably take it easy tomorrow and do a very slow 40 miles or so from the Mint Hill Park.  Probalby best to plan to get together for a ride in a week or so when we we're feeling a little faster.

                      David

                      I already have a ride planned for tomorrow. Maybe I could join you Monday for part of your ride. I probably won't have time to do 50 but if it's convenient for both I could ride a bit with you.

                      Philip

                      --- In mecklenbent- riders@yahoogrou ps.com, David Clark <david_h_clark2004@ ...> wrote:

                      > Jerry,
                      >
                      > Grandbaby weekends are important!
                      >
                      > So do I understand that you are having to get special extra big tegaderm because the standard sizes just won't cover it?  Ouch!
                      >
                      > Yes - we're planning to ride the CNC ride.  It's coming right up.  Our plan for this weekend is to ride three 50 mile days to try and build up some day to day stamina.  We're good for 70 miles in a day but the next day is pretty painful.  So - more miles!
                      >
                      > David

                    • philip.bissette
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 8, 2009
                        Hey Dave,
                        Sorry I missed your post on Sunday. My parents came to visit yesterday so I didn't go riding until later in the afternoon. Hoping to do Mt. Mitchell from Asheville tomorrow if the weather holds up.

                        Saturday is a possibility. I'll check back later in the week.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 8, 2009
                          Philip,

                          Mt. Mitchell from Asheville sounds ambitous!  How many miles and how many feet of elevation gain?  Should be a beautiful ride.

                          David

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 8, 2009
                            very nice,  that should be a sustainable pace for the rnc ride.  maybe next year i will have the time to get that ride in.    my unionville ride goes down 218 for quite a ways to unionville-brief rd and then rt to that wierd intersection (e unionville rd/cj thomas rd) take left to unionville  and then left on unionville rd with a quick rt onto tom helms rd  that takes you to the 6 points intersection with the conoco and sikes mill rd, love mill rd, and e lawyers rd.  from there you can hit love mill rd towards stanleyville.  just past the river turn left on rock hole rd and cross rt 200 across to buster rd.  that gets you to oakboro.  all you have to do now is get back......  river rd to brief gets you to mh park (abbreviated)   or NC 24/27 works but has some butt kicking hills.

                            what day are you guys hitting the rnc ride?

                            jerry

                            From: philip.bissette <philip.bissette@...>
                            To: mecklenbent-riders@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 6:55 AM

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 9, 2009

                              Sounds like a good route.  I would probably try to avoid the long section on 218 - I'll have to take a look at a map and see if there are any other options.

                              We start the RNC Saturday, September 26.  There's an optional 30 mile route around Blowing Rock Saturday and then the official ride starts first thing Sunday morning.  I think we're in pretty good shape for the ride, although it was interesting to do three 50 mile days in a row this weekend.  Our average speed definitely went down on day 3.

                              David

                              From: philip.bissette <philip.bissette@ yahoo.com>
                              To: mecklenbent- riders@yahoogrou ps.com
                              Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 6:55 AM

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 9, 2009
                                blair rd is the way around 218... a bit longer but you catch it at blair unionville rd and the song remains the same from there on out and back....  good luck with rnc and keep us up on it if you can...   jerry

                                From: philip.bissette <philip.bissette@ yahoo.com>
                                To: mecklenbent- riders@yahoogrou ps.com
                                Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 6:55 AM