Re: [mecklenbent-riders] Creeper Trail

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2009
      Sept. 19 and 20 would work fine for me for the Silver Comet.  I'll see if Marta is interested.  That is the weekend before the CNC ride so we may be consumed with trying to figure out what the heck we are going to pack and carry.  Might be a good last shakedown cruise.

      I'm planning on riding on Saturday if anybody is interested in getting together.  Probably about 40 or 50 miles.

      Jerry - I could meet you at your house if you're available.  I'm still interested in seeing if your bar end shifters are compatible with what I have.

      David

      From: David Clark <david_h_clark2004@ yahoo.com>
      Subject: [mecklenbent- riders] Creeper Trail
      To: mecklenbent- riders@yahoogrou ps.com
      Date: Monday, June 8, 2009, 1:02 PM

      In yet another surprising move related to cycling, Marta has bought a Trek hybrid bike and started to commute to work last week.  She decided she wanted to ride the Virginia Creeper trail this weekend so off we went Saturday morning.  We could only get her bike into our car so I decided to rent a mountain bike in Damascus which was simple, quick, and easy, and only cost $20 for the day.  This turned out to be the right thing to do.

      Official Ride Report:

      This trail is great fun!  We rode 17 miles up hill from Damascus to White Top.  It is a pretty continuous 2% to 4% railroad grade up to White Top.  Just enough to give you something to think about but not enough to be difficult.  We were not particularly tired when we got to the top, although we did take it very slow - about three hours to do the 17 miles which included lots of stops to sit on benches, enjoy the view, take pictures etc. The trail runs along a beautiful mountain creek most of the way and crosses it many times on wooden surfaced bridges.  You are in deep shade most of the ride up and since you end up at about 3800 feet the temperatures were cool and pleasant.  There are a couple of places to stop and buy a cold drink and a snack at some of the road crossings.  At the top you are at the highest railroad grade east of the Mississippi and the views are great.

      Coming back down was a 17 mile coast.  I actually got cold.  You have to peddle a little bit but you are not getting much excercise on the trip down.  We did it in about an hour and a half.  I ended up helping some folks with a flat tire and another group with a chain problem and then got to see how fast I could go trying to catch up to Marta.  You can go pretty fast down a continuous 2% grade!

      So - pretty wonderful. Now for the things to think about before everybody rushes off to Damascus.

      1. The trail is mostly packed gravel with sections of soft gravel, sand, a little mud, and a few spots of fist sized gravel and cinders.  Most of the bridges have bumps and drops to get on and off.  Road bike tires need not apply for this ride!  Marta was riding 700CX28mm tires and they were barely adequate to make it through the rough spots.  I'm surprised she didn't pinch flat coming off the bridge decks onto the gravel at speed on the way down.  I'd recommend something with at least 1-1/4" wide tires.  Almost everybody does this with mountain bikes and I sure appreciated the big tires and front suspension.  We did see two recumbents and talked to one of the riders.  She had a 10 year old, no longer in production short wheel base I've never heard of but it had a 700C tire in back and about a 20" in front - both with wide tires.  She was enoying the ride but was a little concerned about her small front wheel diameter in the gravel.  A friend of mine did the trail with a road bike several years ago and said it was nuts.  Very uncomfortable.

      2.  99% of the riders are shuttled up to White Top from Damascus and just ride down hill.  This is supposed to be a ride "anybody" can do because you mostly coast.  So - as we were riding up we were constantly dealing with very clueless riders coming down.  They were going too fast for their bike handling skills, were all over the trail, and some seemed genuinely surprised to see us coming up hill right at them as they careened around corners in the left (to them) side of the trail.  The worst were the cub scout troops of 20 barely supervised 9 year olds riding more or less out of control on both sides of the trail.  Marta was in front and for about 30 minutes as we faced a continuous stream of down hill folks she had to shout constantly to get oncoming riders to move to their side so they wouldn't hit us.  That was a little too exciting.  Marta and I decided that it would be best to start up hill at about 9:00AM or after 2:00PM to avoid the down hill crowds.  We rode down starting at 3:30 and their weren't a lot of folks at the top.

      3. The trail is generally 8 or 10' wide but sections are only 5' and some short areas go down to single track through deep grass.  A couple of the bridges have barriers that only allow one bicycle to pass single file.  I am not certain if a trike could get through and might require "special handling" up and over the barrier.  And a trike would be a tight squeeze in places with all the folks coming down hill.

      So - highly recommended.  Fantastic scenery.  Need something with wide tires.  Start early or start late to avoid the fool factor.  I would definitely want to do this again but would probably rent a mountain bike again rather than try and set my bent up with wider tires.

      David

      From: David Clark <david_h_clark2004@ yahoo.com>
      To: mecklenbent- riders@yahoogrou ps.com
      Date: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 12:06 PM

      Yeah - this rain thing is getting way over done.  Looks like another rainy evening.  I'm planning on another camping expedition to the Smokys this weekend with Marta so a little sunshine would be a nice change.

      David

      From: David Clark <david_h_clark2004@ yahoo.com>
      To: mecklenbent- riders@yahoogrou ps.com
      Date: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 1:00 PM

      Definitely thinking about it.....

      From: Timothy Marshburn <Timothym@medic911. com>
      To: mecklenbent- riders@yahoogrou ps.com
      Date: Monday, May 25, 2009, 11:08 AM

      Dave,

      Glad to hear that your OK after the crash. Sounded like it could have turned out a lot worse. I know it's a pain to replace parts, but you can't be replaced.

      Wet roads are the pits. Hopefully you can figure out how to improve your braking in wet conditions.

      Tim.

      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipients(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

      From: Jerry Morris <froglegz57@yahoo. com>
      Subject: [mecklenbent- riders] rain
      To: mecklenbent- riders@yahoogrou ps.com
      Date: Saturday, May 23, 2009, 2:32 PM

      Jeff and I tried to get a ride in this am but we got to the gas station and a bit further before it began to pour. Those quart sized raindrops we have here. We scooted back to the BP Station and waited out the rain but even after it stopped the weather looked real bad. We got back to my house just in time to miss the second round so the day was a waste as far as biking goes.
      I will try the VA Creeper tomorrow and send a report Monday.

      jerry

      DISCLAIMER:

      This electronic message may contain information that is
      confidential and/or legally privileged. It is intended only for the
      use of the individual(s) and entity named as recipients in the
      message. If you are not an intended recipient of this message,
      please notify the sender immediately and delete the material from
      any computer. Do not deliver, distribute or copy this message, and
      do not disclose its contents or take any action in reliance on the
      information it contains. Thank you.