rain

    Message 1 of 9 , May 23, 2009
      Jeff and I tried to get a ride in this am but we got to the gas station and a bit further before it began to pour.  Those quart sized raindrops we have here.  We scooted back to the BP Station and waited out the rain but even after it stopped the weather looked real bad.  We got back to my house just in time to miss the second round so the day was a waste as far as biking goes.
      I will try the VA Creeper tomorrow and send a report Monday.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 24, 2009
        I decided to go out for a quick 25 miles before driving to Atlanta Saturday morning.  Got caught in heavy rain coming back just a mile from home.  As I turned on to Deveron (one block from home) I was heading too fast down hill when I saw an oncoming car coming around a parked car  and taking most of the road.  I tried to brake but the rims were soaked and couldn't I get any friction.  I tried to head to the inside of the parked car into a front yard but was still going too fast.  I locked up the front wheel, then managed to get it rolling again but still straight towards the parked car.  I then completely locked the rear wheel and the bike did 180 degree turn skidding on the rear wheel as it flipped out from under me.  I ended up in the gutter on my right side right in front of the parked car and the other car drove off into the rain.  Probably never even saw me.

        Damage report: bent rear derailer.  Lots of scratched up chrome on the rear shifter and brake lever.  Damaged shifter lever.  Seat frame bent off center.  Mangled quick release nut.  Rear wheel bent.  I've got a nice case of road rash on my ankle, knee, a good chunk of my right butt cheek, and lots of right elbow.  Ripped a 3" diameter hole through my shorts over the butt cheek.  Had to walk home bleeding in the rain because the rear wheel wouldn't turn.  Which was probably as good a way as any to rinse the blood out of my clothes.  Yikes!  I would not recommend this as an entertaining way to spend Saturday morning.

        So - cleaned up, put tegaderm bandages over the road rash and drove to Atlanta with my daughter.  Pretty stiff by the time I got out of the car  four hours later to meet my son.

        Drove back (through a lot of rain) today and spent about three hours tonight getting the bike back into ridable condition.  I put new brake pads on the front and took sand paper and deglazed the braking surfaces on the rims to see if I could get better wet stopping.  That's the part that concerned me in all of this - the critical moment with no braking and then it was just too late to do anything except try to avoid hitting the big stuff.

        If the weather's decent I'll try to get out for a few miles tomorrow just to see how the bike does.  Hopefully I can get into, and more importantly, out of, a pair of cycling shorts without doing too much damage to the road rash.  My daughter thinks I should wear the pair with the 3" hole but I think she's enjoying all this way too much...

        So - I'm starting to feel a little more philisophical about this but at the time I was pretty well pissed off.  My daughter was laughing at me the whole way down to Atlanta because I was obviously worried way more about the bicycle than my own minor damage.  I told her that skin grows back but bicycle parts cost real money.....

        Any advice on better wet weather stopping techniques?

        David

        Message 3 of 9 , May 25, 2009
          Dave,

          Glad to hear that your OK after the crash. Sounded like it could have turned out a lot worse. I know it's a pain to replace parts, but you can't be replaced.

          Wet roads are the pits. Hopefully you can figure out how to improve your braking in wet conditions.

          Tim.

          CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipients(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 25, 2009
            COULD WE BE LOOKING AT DISC BRAKES IN THE FUTURE????

            Message 5 of 9 , May 26, 2009
              Definitely thinking about it.....

              Message 6 of 9 , May 26, 2009
                I could not stand it any longer....  Last evening i went for a ride around the area.  i knew i was going to get wet so i took the trike and although it was wet i had some fun.  The disc brakes on it worked very nicely but if i plan on doing this regularly i need front fenders.  every time i turned a corner i was getting soaked.   i even stopped under a big tree for a bit.  it was a pleasant ride but short.  I have to get a bigger ride in soon or i will forget how to pedal.

                jerry

                Message 7 of 9 , May 27, 2009
                  Yeah - this rain thing is getting way over done.  Looks like another rainy evening.  I'm planning on another camping expedition to the Smokys this weekend with Marta so a little sunshine would be a nice change.

                  David

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 27, 2009
                    Have a good weekend, wet or dry it is always better away from the home and in the woods.  Let's get together on the next Silver Comet Trail ride.  I would like a weekend in Aug/Sep.  If we get it set up soon we can probably get more participation.  I have made contact with an Atlanta Recumbent group and at least one lady would like to join us.  I would also like to set-up a summer (june/july) VA Creeper.  I think if we start in the middle at Damascus we could have two groups with one going in each direction and a couple nuts going both ways.(that would be me and you)  The only time I have committed is June 27th thru july 14th.  Everything else is open as far as i know.
                    Maybe i will have some progress on the LWB by then.  Have you been pushing Marta towards the "right" way of biking?  We can try her on the trike just to get her hooked if you think she may like it.  How tall is she?  I am 5'10" and do not remember my x-seam.  I may not even have to adjust the boom.

                    jerry

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 28, 2009

                      A Silver Comet ride in August or September sounds good.  We might be able to get Marta to come along as she ramps up her training milage for the Cycle North Carolina ride.

                      I'm afraid I'm loosing ground on getting her on the right kind of bike.  We were looking at standard touring bikes last night at REI and she really seems set on an upright.  Still - she can be an adjuct member of the group...

                      David