Re: [mecklenbent-riders] may ride

  • Jeff Dailey
    Message 1 of 7 , May 22, 2009
      I'm up for some riding this weekend!  Just let me know when you guy s what to head out.

      From: David Clark <david_h_clark2004@ yahoo.com>
      To: mecklenbent- riders@yahoogrou ps.com
      Date: Tuesday, May 19, 2009, 12:35 PM

      Jerry,

      Marta had a triumphant ride from Damascus to Abbingdon on her borrowed (from our son) mountain bike.  She did 32 miles total which I think is remarkable considering she just started riding a few weeks ago after 20 years off the bicycle.  She did take it slowish - finishing in about 4 hours - but that is the way to get the job done.  She even rescued a group of riders who were trying to figure out how to reinstall a crank on a rental bike without any tools.  Since I had packed a saddle bag for her complete with tube, CO2 inflator, tire irons and multi tool she could show up like the Lone Ranger and save the day.  Or at least save somebody an eight mile walk.

      Marta said it was absolutely beautiful and has some good suggestions for places to stay in Damascus that feature bunks and showers.  She also mentioned that she got a lot of free beer at the one bar in town by agreeing to wait tables for an hour.  Sounds like quite an adventure.

      Saturday I discovered the ultimate source of "donor" bikes - the Recyclery.  It's more or less located at N. Davidson and 15th at the back of a building.  They accept donated bikes which they fix up to resell or to provide to local kids as part of the Trips for Kids program.  They probably had 50 fixed up bikes, a bunch of frames, and boxes of components for sale.  I would have bought a 1971 Peogeot road bike with all original components for $240 if the frame had come close to fitting me.  It was a beauty but alas too big.  You might want to check them out on a rainy Saturday afternoon.  Good fun just to see all that bicylcing history.

      David

      From: David Clark <david_h_clark2004@ yahoo.com>
      To: mecklenbent- riders@yahoogrou ps.com
      Date: Tuesday, May 12, 2009, 12:11 PM

      Jerry,

      Marta will be riding part of the trail this weekend and can give a preliminary report.  My memory is that you definitely need a bike that can handle packed gravel.  We've got multiple things going on Memorial day weekend so I don't think I'll make it.

      David