169Re: Cycle North Carolina

  • philip.bissette
    Oct 11, 2009
      Thanks David, that's a great report. It sounds like you had a great week. It's good to hear that there were so many 'bents there.

      Did you and Larry go to the Pig? I ended up taking my son to Raleigh for the NCSU/duke football game so it was a no-go for me. Thinking about this for Saturday:http://www.bikeseast.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21&Itemid=22
      Any takers?

      --- In mecklenbent-riders@yahoogroups.com, David Clark <david_h_clark2004@...> wrote:

      > Well - this is a late and abreviated ride report... Let's see what I remember after being back to work for a week.
      >
      > We drove up Saturday to Blowing Rock in a gathering rain.  It was sprinkling in Hickory and a driving rain by the time we got to Lenoir.  We arrived in Blowing Rock to find it totally choked with cyclists milling around trying to stay dry and figure out where to check in and where to sleep for the night.  The Blowing Rock elementary school was already filled with people setting up camp indoors for the night as we were picking up our ride packets and figuring out the parking and shuttle system.  Marta went to park the car at the Appalachian ski area while I put the bikes together and talked to people.  A guy in the school hallway right next to me was putting together a RANS F5 out of a very sleek aluminum hard sided case.  It had S&S couplers in the frame and was completely knocked down for flying.  It took him about an hour to build it all back up while we chatted.
      >
      > Lots of recumbents in evidence.  It was fun to walk around the inside of the school and talk to people about the bikes.  Many very nice touring bikes with panniers, Brooks saddles, and bar end shifters.  Lots of Tour Easy and other long wheel base bents.
      >
      > Had a good barbeque supper at the VFW hall and then a couple beers at a bar down the street.  As we walked back to the school where all our baggage was sitting in the gym we decided that the rain had slowed down to the point where we would rather camp outside than in the gym with 200 other noisy folks.  Set up the tent in the school playground on a very nice wood chip surface under the jungle gym.  Wet but not too wet.
      >
      > Sunday morning was foggy but slowly clearing as we ate breakfast and got everything packed up to put in the baggage truck.  We were on our way by about 8:4and among the last to leave.  Some folks started at 7:30 but it was still foggy and dark, and it took us an hour to get the camping stuff and luggage packed up.  This was the pattern for the rest of the week.  We never got started earlier than 8:30 but figured that there wasn't any point in hurrying.  The early starters must have been doing the rent-a-tent service where somebody else takes care of horsing the bags around.  Or staying in motels.
      >
      > We headed out as the sun was starting to burn off the mist.  Took 221 out of Blowing Rock and within a few miles got on the Blue Ridge Parkway heading towards Grandfather mountain.  The day was cool but sunny and bright.  I had never cycled the Parkway.  It was incredible!  Very little traffic other than lots of bicycles.  The views were amazing.  Marta and I stopped and took pictures at every overlook.  So did lot's of other folks.  This was really cycle touring as we just enjoyed the morning sun, great views, and a great road.
      > Lots of climbing to get up to 4400 feet.

> [...]
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic