Re: [ME@N] Global Marketing Plan for Apple

  • Tom Corbett Hotmail
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2000
      On 08-03-2001 11:27, "Gregory Chan" <gregorychan@...> wrote:

      > On 8/3/01 5:20 PM, Roy Chang wrote:
      >
      >> > I'm currently doing a project on the above topic. I was wondering if anyone
      >> > has any imput on how Apple can better market herself and boost their market
      >> > share and profitability? Why are consumers not buying the Mac?
      >
      > you could read those AAPL articles on biz analysis sites like fool.com. such
      > sites usually have writeups on Apple. you could use the content to generate
      > some ideas....
      >
      >> > This project will be presented to my Marketing Strategy class. (My bid to
      >> > 'evagelise' at NTU.) I'm even thinking of bringing my iMac (Tangerine)
      >> > there. Can I hook up a projector to my iMac? It's really weird to do a
      >> > marketing plan for Apple on a PeeCee. :P
      >
      > does ur mac have a VGA-out port? if so, then you're good to go :)
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      >
      > Click Here to Find Software Faster
      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=162801.1342134.2934631/D=egroupmail/S=1700702862:N/A=59
      > 9100/*http://www.knowledgestorm.com/jump_white.html?c=Yahoo&n=eLert_BusinessFi
      > nance_Companies_WhiteGridTime&t=ad>
      >
      > ME@N - bringing the Mac and Singapore together.
      > http://MacSingapore.com (MacSg.com)
      >
      > Special Offers: http://MacSingapore.com/shopping/sonnet.html
      > Daily Tips: http://MacSingapore.com/tutorials/

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      Apple Belgium should promote Macs at schools !! Not a lot of schools are
      using macs here in the dutch speaking part of Belgium.

      Cheers,
      Tom

    • Roy Chang
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2001
        Hi All

        I'm currently doing a project on the above topic. I was wondering if anyone
        has any imput on how Apple can better market herself and boost their market
        share and profitability? Why are consumers not buying the Mac?

        Anywhere I can get some good resources for Apple Computers?

        This project will be presented to my Marketing Strategy class. (My bid to
        'evagelise' at NTU.) I'm even thinking of bringing my iMac (Tangerine)
        there. Can I hook up a projector to my iMac? It's really weird to do a
        marketing plan for Apple on a PeeCee. :P

        Wish I had a iBook or better still Ti G4 to 'showoff' heheh...

        Many thanks,
        Roy
      • Gregory Chan
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8, 2001

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2001
            thanks. interesting site.

            em, does an iMac DV (tangerine) have a VGA-out port?

            From: Gregory Chan <gregorychan@...>
            Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 18:27:37 +0800
            To: mean <mean@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: Re: [ME@N] Global Marketing Plan for Apple

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2001
              it should have. can anyone else confirm that it will be with a projector?
              (you don't wanna be caught with ur pants down on presentation day Roy :P)

              greg ^_^

              On 8/3/01 6:46 PM, Roy Chang wrote:

              > em, does an iMac DV (tangerine) have a VGA-out port?
            • Michael VALLANCE (ELL)
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 8, 2001
                1. My 2 cents...It all depends on how you determine the 'market'. If the
                market is business then I agree that Apple has been performing poorly.
                Office 98 and IE 4.5 really saved the Mac a couple of years ago and now
                Apple is making inroads to SOHO. In education Apple are doing well but they
                can do much better if they partner some more high profile, hi-tech joint
                projects. Consumers are a fickle lot (aren't we) and Apple's message of
                simplicity when the imac was first launched was well received judged by the
                no. of units sold. But Apple needs to get the MHz message across better. We
                know the G4 PowerBook is super fast but PC users just look at the MHz
                numbers and are not convinced..the ad doesn't exactly illustrate mind
                blowing computing! Apple shouldn't focus on MHz but something
                else..Gigaflops? And Games. 2 million Quake boxes for PC and 2,000 for Mac.
                Another message that needs to be worked on. In US, Europe and Aus. it seems
                Apple is really focussing on the professional classes (middle class, above
                average income) which doesn't really work in the South Asia economies as the
                distinctions are less apparent. So why not so many Mac users in Singapore?
                As a foreigner I can only offer a very very limited insight based on
                observation...people, in general, do not like to take risks: many people
                see others using PCs so they believe they too should use a PC. It is a
                brave Singaporean who decides to think different but once he or she has used
                a mac then they understand why macs are superior. It's called, in
                engineering terms, stiction. The initial push requires more force. And from
                meeting Singaporeans who use macs it is these guys (and girls) who have that
                'something' which makes them stand out above the average PC user type person
                :-) So Apple should try to convince customers that purchasing an Apple is
                not a risk.
                As I say, I am generalising.
                Finally, what can Apple do? Well, in education they should focus more on the
                technical support depts. as it is these guys who now often determine what
                staff will have ('support' has become a misnomer) and, as one of my
                colleagues has highlighted, if Apple can convince tech support and train
                tech support staff then they have a foot in the door. Selling the Apple
                philosophy to educators has never been a problem. Hope this helps with your
                project.

                2. If your iMac is Rev B I don't think you'll be able to connect to a
                projector.
                I'm teaching at the NIE block at NTU. I can't really lend you one of my lab
                iMacs but I'm willing to loan you my personal PowerBook G3 for the
                presentation (can't offer much more than the duration that as i have tests
                etc. on my PowerBook! suggest you save your presentation on a zip disk to
                transfer to my G3 if you wish to use it).
                What will you be using? Don't say Powerpoint ;-) ...only kidding.
                Call me at 790 3475 (NIE office) if interested.
                Michael Vallance

                > ----------

              • Budi Phoea
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 10, 2001
                  I can't agree more with Mike.

                  No doubt Apple is a much superior machine. I discovered this fact when I
                  made the switch to Apple with Rev B iMac. I never looked back since. My next
                  computer will still be a Mac.

                  Why? I use my iMac for 2 main reasons only. Internet, using IE/OE and
                  Netscape; and work, using MS Office.

                  Why most of my friends do not like Mac? Because they have a third reason:
                  play games.

                  Unless Apple can get software houses to develop Mac games and price them
                  competitively, or our local pirates are willing to duplicate Mac games and
                  selling them for $5 a CD, no gamers will want to migrate to Mac.

                  Hardware prices must also come down. More often than not, Mac hardware are
                  priced above that of PC equivalent, this had in a way restrict upgradability
                  of Mac financially.