RE: Mac maintenance

  • Laurence Gwee
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8 9:23 PM
      I use Cocktail for maintenance, run the UNIX CRON scripts and to tweak the
      eye candy.

      DiskWarrior is deployed when I want the disk directory rebuilt. However I
      only do this once in a while. The current version to run on Lion is v4.4.

      To delete applications and their support folders, I use CleanMyMac. You can
      also flush bursting font and language folders with this. If you're
      adventurous, you can use CMM to slim down Universal Binary applications by
      cutting out legacy code, leaving them Intel-only. That can save you some
      disk space.

      And when I see something strange happening, I 'fsck' the hard drive by
      booting into Open Firmware.

      OS 10.x is an entirely different animal now! With OS 10.8 "Mountain Lion",
      it is going to get weirder still with all that iOS integration.

      The other thing is to keep your desktop as clean as possible. The window
      redraw buffer will thank you for it.

      LG